Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2011, 02:41 PM
Fan Forum Star

I hope we'll get to see more of that side again. We've seen her more vulnerable side lately, I want them to balance that out a bit with her being a hbic.

This is Raven Reyes, and I'm alive.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:53 PM
Elite Fan

I miss that too. We know she's more than capable of taking care of herself and kicking butt when need be. She's good at her job so let's see that from time to time.

I wondered if Hil's status before she became a regular played a factor in how her story has been told so far? Meaning she was inserted fast, we got to know her job, her role with Peter/Neal, she worked with the team a bit, then she was getting attached to Neal. Season 3 has mostly been her and Neal, both maybe getting in over their heads, and now on a break though they seem to be friendly. Now maybe they can find that balance of her roles.

The above is not a complaint on how she's been handled. Just something I thought of the other night and why her story has been a little uneven.

Icon by Fiona
Old 09-09-2011, 05:37 AM
Fan Forum Star

In season 2 she was written a bit differently, it might have something to do with the fact that she wasn't a regular back then, so maybe they didn't want to attach her too much to any of the main characters. I think that in season 3 they focused a bit too much on Sara as a love interest, they should have her interact more with other characters and shift the focus a bit back on her life, job, etc again.

Quote:
The above is not a complaint on how she's been handled. Just something I thought of the other night and why her story has been a little uneven.
Nothing wrong with complaining imo. As long as it's not bitching but constructive cristicism and mature discussion.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:29 AM
Elite Fan

It really wasn't a complaint from me though I know some others have had issues with it. I think it's hard to insert a new character and establish their role. Especially when they have two. S2 showed one and S3 (so far) has been the other. I'd like to think they're at a point where a more balanced version can be shown now.

Icon by Fiona
Old 09-09-2011, 12:16 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Discussion is always a good thing and what's so great about this board is we can express opinions and talk things over without fighting

This is my opinion and I apologise of the length of my mini essay

Sara was introduced initially as a character the writers wanted to make permanent but they had to test the waters. I think from what I remember and read in reviews, tweets and interviews, Hil was very popular with critics but not so much with long term viewers who fed back that Sara was too rigid and harsh.

I think that this is a factor in her being presented initially as this rigid woman as the writers wanted a woman who could clearly stand up to Neal but then they had to alter her to keep long standing fans happy. Its a tricky balance trying to maintain how JE and everyone would have seen and wanted to portray Sara to what the viewers want to see.

I do think the writers did kind of insert her into everyone's lives in season 2 as they even then wanted to establish her as a possibly main character. Then this season, I actually think one of the reasons - not the only, but one reason - we haven't perhaps had as much Sara interacting with others characters again because of complaints of Sara taking away others screen time. That's my honest opinion because last season there was a lot of Sara and a lot of viewer feedback was negative that if she became a regular this would perhaps continue.

I am hoping that come January and then going on to season 4 more aspects of Sara are brought back into the show. I think for the first half of season 3 she was there to be the love interest and to represent the happy life Neal could have just like Peter/El have together. But I'd like to see Sara get presented again as the more layered character like she was. And I think I'm done

Old 09-09-2011, 04:36 PM
Fan Forum Star

ITA with your entire post Kate. I hope they will add more layers to her character after the hiatus

I didn't even know that people complained that much about Hilarie/Sara. I saw some ridiculous posts - like complaining that Hilarie is too young to play Neal's lvoe interest - but not many. But maybe I just didn't pay too much attention to hate posts. Some people will always complain though. And I think it's petty to complain about new additions to the cast, it's not like shows go on forever with the same cast that was introduced in the Pilot.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:46 PM
Elite Fan

Kate, wonderful post.

You're right that she was a hit with most critics. Still is thankfully. I know there's still some hate out there but I know Hil/Sara has changed a lot of minds too.

Paula is right. You're not going to please everyone. So long as the writers tell the story they want and not cater to the fans then I'm happy.

Here's to a more layered Sara when the show starts back up. We know she's much more than just a love interest.

Icon by Fiona
Old 09-10-2011, 01:18 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks guys Glad I didn't bore you with my post

You're totally right Paula, you're never gonna please everyone. And like Jamie I think as long as the writers tell the story they want to tell I'm happy.

Personally I love Sara's kick-ass and feisty nature and yeh I want to see more of that side to her. And the baton I like Sara as Neal's love interest but yes she is so much more and I think she can be strong and independent as well as being the girl who goes home to the guy she wants to be with. So I want to see both sides and personas to Sara.

I have a title suggestion:

Repo Lady {Sara|Hilarie} Appreciation #4 : Because she's a baton wielding bad-ass.

I've also been working on finishing up the Sara OP so I'm going to ask if I can open the new thread but if someone else wants to its cool. I just thought I'd ask

Old 09-10-2011, 12:40 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I like Hilarie on this show and Sara. May I be added?
Old 09-10-2011, 12:45 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I've added you loganandroryforever and welcome to the Sara/Hil thread. I'm Kate. What your name btw ?

Old 09-10-2011, 02:39 PM
Elite Fan

Welcome loganandroryforever.

Kate, you should start the new thread since you have stuff to update the OP with. I love the title suggestion.

Icon by Fiona
Old 09-10-2011, 06:04 PM
Fan Forum Star

Welcome loganandroryforever!

Kate love the title suggestion and go for it.

Old 09-11-2011, 01:45 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks bbs and glad you like the title.
Just a couple of posts to go

Old 09-11-2011, 02:00 AM
Extreme Fan

Welcome newbaby!
Old 09-11-2011, 08:35 AM
Fan Forum Star

New thread time.